Steve's Books

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.
S. I. Hayakawa

Son of a Witch

by Gregory Maguire

This is the sequel to Wicked, the best-selling alternate-Oz novel that recently spawned a musical. This book tells the story of Liir, who thinks that he might be Elphaba's son but isn't quite sure. Throughout the book he struggles with issues of identity and belonging while the corrupt government of Oz swirls around him.

I have to say that I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as I enjoyed Wicked, and that's saying something since I merely thought that Wicked was interesting. This book seemed to lack a real focus or even a real point. I understand that Liir is trying to find himself and all but I kept wanting him to actually make a real splash in his world and in the end he ends up making only a tiny ripple. I found it all rather unsatisfying. Furthermore, not only is Liir confused socially, he's also confused sexually which I found just a little uncomfortable. At least it wasn't graphic although there is a fair amount of swearing (like the earlier book).

All in all, I really can't recommend this one. It wasn't horrible; it just wasn't worth my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home