Steve's Books

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.
S. I. Hayakawa

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

by J. K. Rowling

This book is the last in the seven part Harry Potter series. I assume you've heard of it by now.

I often read apologetic reviews for this series of books. People say things like "it's not great literature but it's a fun read". (And I admit to being one of them in the past.) That seems a little unfair. I wonder if people write that because they're secretly ashamed to be reading something that is so insanely popular. Perhaps they feel that if it's that popular then it must be no more than a passing fad. Snooty people (me again) just hate to admit that they like something that the average man (or kid) on the street likes. Well, I'm going to come right out and state that in my opinion, Harry Potter is not just some passing fad. I think twenty or thirty years from now kids will still be reading Harry Potter. I think that when my grand kids come of age their parents will be buying the Harry Potter gift set for them to read. I think that goes for my great grand kids too.

If the mark of great literature is something that touches the human spirit, evokes strong emotion, makes us think about who we are, the world we live in, and our place in it, then I think that Harry Potter fits that bill. It's not the best series of books I've ever read (although I can't at the moment think of what that might be) but it certainly ranks right up there among the best juvenile fiction I can remember reading. It's a riveting, well-told story that's fun to read from the very start and holds your interest all the way through. Along the way it touches on issues of loyalty, sacrifice, honor, love and hate, good and evil. It's good stuff.

The Deathly Hallows does exactly what a final book should do. It brings the story to the dramatic climax that we all expected. It explains everything that until now was unexplained. It ties up all the loose ends. The series that could have ended with a thud instead ends with a triumphant bang. It's sad and scary and exhilarating. The perfect ending to a wonderful series that will stand the test of time.

If you are one of those who haven't read the series yet because you thought it was too much of a fad, or for whatever reason, I highly recommend that you go out and get a copy and start reading. You won't be disappointed. This one is worthy of the hype.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home